Job Title: Purchasing Manager
Department: Supply Chain
Reports to: Vice President of Global Supply Chain
Direct Reports: Purchasing Agents and Supply Chain Coordinators
FLSA Status: Exempt
Schedule: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (may vary by the day)
The Purchasing Manager will oversee all buying and outsourcing activities at TMP. This position will be responsible for ensuring that the company’s supplier base has the capability and capacity can meet TMP’s goals.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Overseeing the day-to-day activities of all purchasing employees.
- Creating and implementing overall outsourcing plans to meet forecasted sales volumes.
- Meeting with current and prospective suppliers and utilizing them to maintain growth, especially those that can perform more than one process.
- Creating and maintaining processes, from identifying and qualifying new vendors to tracking their performance.
- Creating and maintaining a formal supplier follow-up process, including status of work, supplier evaluations and assessing supplier quality programs.
- Creating and maintaining stocking plans and blanket orders for standard parts focusing on raw material, i.e. steel, UHMW, paint, hardware, etc
- Ensures Purchasing Agents are getting PO’s and drawings to vendors in a timely manner and that PO’s are structured in a way that allows for easy monitoring to TMP’s delivery needs.
- Ensures that vendors are aware of all requirements including material types, tolerances, in process and final inspections, packaging specifications, etc.
- Track and report key functional metrics to reduce expenses and improve effectiveness.
- Other projects or duties as directed.
Education, prior work experience and specialized skills and knowledge:
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work and participate as part of a team
- Ensure internal and external customers are treated with integrity and respect
- Self-managed and ability to execute at a high level with minimal supervision
- Ability to develop and interpret organizational reports
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of experience in purchasing or operations
- 2+ years of direct management experience
Other (e.g., customer contact or access to confidential information):
Must be able to work as part of a team. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to present information in a clear and concise manner. Demonstrate strong organizational skills and ability to pay attention to detail.
Physical environment/working conditions:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sitting at a computer workstation, walking and standing for extended periods, bending stooping, and lifting up to 50 lbs. Possible exposure to hazards such as noise, heavy equipment, temperature extremes, and chemicals while working in the production areas.